Willard Fire Department Saves Two Trapped by Electrocution and Fire on JLG Lift
Willard Fire and Rescue Department Chief Joe Reiderman issued the following statement
On November 18, 2023, at 08:37, the Willard Fire and Rescue Department was dispatched for an electrocution. Further information advised that two people, approximately twenty feet off the ground, were trapped in the bucket of a JLG lift that was on fire.
Firefighters were able to extricate the patients from the bucket using ground ladders and a rope rescue system. The fire in the lift was extinguished as the rescue was taking place.
The incident location was at a Nursing Home Facility in the 300 Block of East Howard Street. Upon arrival, units found a JLG lift on fire with 2 victims trapped in the bucket.
The main fire was in the lower unit of the lift which was approximately 30 feet from the building. The boom was extended through the power lines and the bucket was approximately five feet from the roof.
The residents of the Nursing Home that were in the primary hazard area were moved to safe zones on the front side of the building. Fifty-three residents and twelve staff members of the Nursing Home were moved to a neighboring church until the hazard was mitigated.
One patient was flown from the scene to Mercy St. Vincents in Toledo. The other patient was transported by Willard Fire and Rescue to Mercy Health Willard and was later flown to Mercy St. Vincents in Toledo.
The State Fire Marshal's Office was notified and has sent in an investigator to assist with the incident.
The Willard Fire and Rescue Department would like to offer our thoughts and prayers to the two patients and their families. We would like to thank the Willard Police Department, Huron County Sheriff's Office, State Fire Marshal's Office, Ohio Department of Health, Mercy Health Willard, Mercy Health Life Flight, for their assistance.
We would also like to thank American Electric Power (A.E.P.) for their quick response.
Thanks to Sharon Snipes for these photo’s